"Cautionary Tale"

About: Gloucestershire Royal Hospital

I was sent to A&E by my GP due to having a fish bone stuck in my throat. I was impressed by the speed with which I was seen and the thoroughness of the ENT doctor who examined my throat. She checked everything more than once and in the end decided that what she could see and feel was the lesion caused by the bone and not the bone itself, so I went home. However a few hours later I practically choked as the bone had released itself and was moving around in my throat. Luckily with all the coughing it came out of its own accord. The doctor was thorough and I was satisfied that she did what she thought was necessary, but would just like to add that it is of the utmost importance to listen carefully and act upon what the patient says about his/her symptoms.

Response from Gloucestershire Royal Hospital

Thank you very much for your feedback. We will ensure your comments are passed on to the teams involved in your care. If you would like to discuss any aspects of your treatment further please do get in touch, either via our online feedback form: http://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/en/Contact-Us/Contact-Us/Have-Your-Say---Feedback-Form/ or by calling our PALS team on 0800 019 3282