"Unable to breathe Emergency admission"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Accident and emergency South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Having inhaled a touch of smoke from burning cooking oil while cooking and suffering from COPD, my breathing gradually got worse until after about 20 mins. I was really struggling to breathe.

After 5 mins. of trying to take Ventalin the ambulance was called. A Paramedic arrived within 10 minutes, another 3 minutes later and the ambulance 5 minutes after that. Their treatment and concern was great. It was decided that I should be taken to ESH for an X-ray and a check-up. The crew were so good that I was breathing relatively normally again by the time we got there (about 30 mins. ).

Staff in the Emergency Unit were again efficient and very caring, including tea/coffee to pass the time. I arrived at 8pm and was discharged again at 12. 15am after an X-ray, and being given some medication.

Many thanks to all concerned - a great service!

Response from Susan Aitkenhead, Chief Nurse, Executive Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Gasper

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on the care that you received. I will ensure that your thanks are passed on to the relevant staff who will be delighted to receive them.

I hope that you are fully recovered and thank you again.

Kind Regards

Susan Aitkenhead

Chief Nurse

Response from Janine Compton, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for passing on your positive comments about the service you received from South East Coast Ambulance Service.

We do hope you are feeling better now!