"Patchy district nursing service"

About: St James's University Hospital Wakefield District PCT / District nursing

Having twice travelled to St. James's hospital for an operation on different dates and told twice the operation was cancelled due to a lack of beds, I finally had the operation.

Being discharged with a need for wound dressing I handed in my letter to the local medical centre and waited for a call from the nurse to fix up an appointment. None came.

I have had attendance from the District nursing previously and found it patchy, when it works, it works well, but having to walk to the surgery to collect the prescription and then the local chemist when my supply of dressing ended seemed to have the focus in the wrong place.

To be told a home visit would be between 9 am and 5 pm was hardly a help in organising life.

Response from Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear 2398

We are very sorry to hear about your operation being cancelled twice at St James's. We appreciate how frustrating and difficult this must have been for you having travelled to the hospital expecting to have your operation.

If you would like to discuss the issues in person, and confidentially, you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0113 2067168 or email patient.relations@leedsth.nhs.uk

Thank you for the time and effort you have taken to post these comments - they are very valuable comments to us.