"111 - a good service, and a question"

About: Harmoni / NHS 111

I was feeling very ill the beginning of February and a phoned my doctors and was directed to call the 111 number.

I called and spoke to a charming and knowledgeable women (see seemed like she may have been a nurse or ex-nurse) and asked me all my symptoms. I said I was feeling very rough and that I am a carer for my husband who has Parkinson’s and dementia. I said I really wouldn't have called if I did not feel so ill. She said she would speak to a doctor and phone me back.

She called back and arranged for a doctor to come out and visit me. The Doctor was very lovely and charming. He acknowledged that I did seem very ill but that he didn’t think there as much he could do. He gave me advice to take paracetamol etc. and made me feel very reassured.

I do have a question about the 111 service, can I call this number to ask about my husband's behaviour? I have noticed a deterioration in his condition, which I was told to expect but sometimes I don’t know what to do when he is behaving difficultly or aggressively. When this is out-of-hours I don’t know who to call.

Can I call 111 for some advice at these times?

Response from Amanda Mayo, NHS 111 Service Director, Harmoni

Thank you for providing feedback on Patient Opinion. NHS111 deals with the 'here and now'. This means that if there is an acute symptom the service is able to provide a comprehensive assessment and suggest a place that would be able to provide suitable care. This may be visiting a GP, ED or mental health crisis team if appropriate

Please do call NHS111 if you are concerned about your husbands behaviour and you feel that you require support. I hope that you find this helpful.