"Care of elderly "

About: East Surrey Hospital / Older people's healthcare

Visiting my mother who was admitted into Nutfield Ward today, I found that staff the were very sharp when talking to the bedridden patients suffering with varying degrees of Dementia.

I asked one of the staff for a clean drinking tumbler and showed her that my mum's one was encrusted with food, I was given a clean tumbler, I mentioned that the staff seemed very stressed and she promptly handed me a urine sample pot as well. This staff member's knowledge of English seemed very limited.

I was told by the staff that my mum could use the toilet and for her to use the walking frame, my husband and I had to lift her off the bed, she had to stop several times as she could not breathe, it was not an acceptable situation. In the emergency unit they supplied a commode. Another visitor appeared to have a grievance regarding the care given to his mother by staff, a heated discussion with a member of staff took place on the ward in front of everyone, surely this should have been dealt with in a private area.

The poor patients are left to stare at the ceiling, there is nothing to stimulate them at all, there was a TV in the room but not switched on. I feel very uneasy leaving my mum there.

Response from Susan Aitkenhead, Chief Nurse, Executive Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear silversmithy

I am extremely concerned to hear about you and your mother's experiences - can you please forward your mother's details, with her permission to me - so I can look into this urgently?

My email address is susan.aitkenhead@sash.nhs.uk

Many thanks.