"Treated with respect but not listened to"

About: Royal Hallamshire Hospital

I have been a patient under one of the consultants in endocrinology for 14 months now. Finally some progress is being made regarding my treatment, but this has only come about as a result of my being pushy, and also paying for private opinions from another Doctor. I feel that the consultant on my case is only prepared to treat patients that conveniently fit into one of his 'boxes'; more challenging cases that require some detection and deduction are brushed aside with comments such as 'we'll monitor your blood for another 6 months'. This despite the fact that I have been unwell for 3 years and my blood levels are irregular.

I have sought, paid for and been given excellent advice elsewhere, but have to attend the hospital to receive the blood tests and medication on the NHS (I am earning just above the minimum wage and can ill afford to pay for expensive private consultations). My most recent consultation with the hospital consultant ended with my saying that I feel better than before but not quite right yet, meaning the medication isn't properly effective, but the Doctor chose to ignore the second part and told me there would be just one more appointment before I was discharged.

Overall, I am unhappy with the 'service'. The consultant is very rigid and not willing to look beyond the numbers at cause etc.

i was, however, treated with courtesy and respect at all times, waiting times were generally short, staff helpful.

Response from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Fred Boggs

Thank you for giving us your feedback on your treatment at The Royal Hallamshire Hospital and I am sorry you were unhappy with the overall service.

If you would like us to investigate your concerns further please do contact our Patient Services Team on 0114 271 2400 or pst@sth.nhs.uk with further details.

Best wishes

Response from Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Dear Fred Boggs

Best wishes