"disgraceful patient care/total lack of empathy"

About: Milton Keynes Hospital

I was treated as a number, not a person at all. the staff were very rude, No sign what-so-ever of sympathy, empathy or respect. The waiting time stated 1 to 2 hour wait, after 3 hours we enquired - to be told in a very abrupt and off hand fashion that we would be next in. Watching and waiting again, seeing people continue to go in before me, I hobbled out crying in severe pain and discomfort. Informing the receptionist I was leaving, after the now 4 hour wait, ( home to get some pain relief) only to be told to complete a self discharge form. How could I be leaving the hospital agianst medical advice, when I had not seen any.one to advise me. I cried all the way home, not only with the great pain, but also very very upset and crying When all could have been prevented by a kind word of explanation of waiting times and not abrubt hostility.

I think the only time I would ever return to MK casualty would be if I was unconscious and un-awares!

Response from Milton Keynes Hospital

Firstly, Milton Keynes Hospital would like to apologise for the length of time it has taken to reply. The Trust is sorry to hear of your experience of the A&E Department and your comments have been passed to the responsible managers for their information and action. If you would like to discuss this further or make a complaint then please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01908 243633 or 01908 243181 or alternatively e-mail patientexperience@mkhospital.nhs.uk or write to the main hospital address. Thank you.