"Nursing Care"

About: Gloucestershire Royal Hospital

While I was very well cared for by surgeon and attending doctors, nursing care was very poor. While waiting to be taken to theatre, I endured three hours of excessive chatter and cackling from the nurse's station, close to my bed. The only time there was quiet, or conversation was in any way work related was when doctors appeared.

No nurse spoke to me while I waited, apart from when one placed a pair of s urgical stockings on the bed,wishing me luck with getting them on because they were tight.

On my return to the ward after my operation, no nurse checked on how I was feeling, or checked on my wound, which was in fact bleeding. I had to ask a passing nurse for a cup of tea.

I phoned a friend to collect me. When she arrived, she was shocked to find me so bloodstained and when she informed a nurse, she was handed a packet of wipes. My friend helped me dress, and we were allowed to leave the ward without anyone checking on how I was feeling or the state of my wound. (In fact I had to return to Outpatients the following day for extra stitches as the bleeding had not stopped).

Response from Gloucestershire Royal Hospital

I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences. We'd like to be able to investigate the issues you've raised further so we can learn from them and make improvements where needed. Would you be happy to contact our PALS team to discuss this further? You can call them on 0800 019 3282 or alternatively you can complete this feedback form: http://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/en/Contact-Us/Contact-Us/Have-Your-Say---Feedback-Form/