"Rudeness and contempt during ENT consultation"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital / Ear, Nose and Throat

Upon seeing an ENT consultant, I was stunned by what I felt was a contempt and inconsiderate attitude displayed by the consultant. Upon asking me what seemed to be the problem, I got about three words out before the consultant interrupted to say "Let's take a look" and shoved a scope in my ear. The consultant tersely explained, in jargon, what would have to happen and seemed perturbed when I asked them to explain what exactly was going to be happening to my body. The consultant shoved a form in front of me to sign, again seeming irate when I asked them to explain what I was signing; it turned out to be a permission form for major ear surgery.

I'm disgusted with the attitude of this consultant towards me. I managed to maintain a civil attitude, but in hindsight wish I hadn't.

I would add that the staff nurse and the person who ran my hearing test were lovely and considerate.

Response from Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear J2013

We are very sorry that your experience with the ENT Consultant was below the satndard we endeavour to provide.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and please know that I have shared your experience with the general manager of that department who will be taking this forward.

Thank you for noting that other staff did provide the standards we apsire to.

We do take all feedback very seriously and use it to educate staff and inform the services that we provide.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact our PALS department on 01201 704886.