"Excellent treatment of child with crushed thumb"

About: Royal Free Hospital

My 13 year old daughter crushed her thumb in a door on Friday. On Saturday we were seen by the plastics team. On Sunday morning, she had a nailbed repair operation, under general anaesthetic. The care we received was simply superb - all the staff (nurses, student nurses, porters, doctors) took enormous pains to explain the procedure carefully to her, and to reassure her. The procedure was organised and undertaken swiftly and efficiently. We hardly had to wait at all at any stage. She even had a pretty nice lunch, which was very suitable for a child (simple grilled chicken, roast potatoes and broccoli). We were back home by 4 pm, with no ill effects.

Given the recent media hysteria, I want particularly to stress how caring and patient the nurses were. Particular thanks to Gemma in the children's ward 6N.

I am extremely grateful.

Response from Royal Free Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We are very pleased you were happy with the care your daughter received and we have passed your feedback onto staff in the relevant departments.