"Very unhelpful staff"

About: Watford General Hospital

Very unhelpful staff when I called to reschedule my oral surgery appointment. I was given alternative number which took me to hearing department and they gave me some other number. This again was not the right one so I looked up on the internet and called the number found there. This was not manned and the voicemail there gave some other number. When I called that number it said that it was not manned and I should leave a voicemail which I did but no one responded. If the numbers on the appointment letters are not the correct ones then why print them there? Also, the complaints number given by one of the staff leads you to an endoscopy department. I have spent more than an hour to reschedule my appointment and haven't yet managed to do so. My phone bill has increased as I made nearly 10 calls as I was sent from pillar to post but I haven't had anyone to talk to to reschedule my appointment. The letter says that if I don't attend the appointment they will send me back to by GP/GDP for care but they can't be bothered to speak to the patients which is really apalling.

Response from Watford General Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your, regrettably, frustrating experience with us at the Trust to date of writing. We’re always concerned to hear of any patients who are unhappy with the service they have received, and getting this sort of information correct in the first instance is essential. On top of this, the importance of a wholly positive, and respectful, experience is one of our key objectives (from booking an appointment to hospital visit), and the issue of communication between our staff and patients is a fundamental area we’re working hard to improve in. If you are willing, we know that our senior clinical colleagues will wish to investigate your concerns, so we can look into what went wrong for you, and why. Apart from giving you some answers, if would also help put things right for other patients if we can. Therefore if you are willing to do so, please contact us directly at wherts-tr.complaintsteam@nhs.net . We will aim to thoroughly investigate these issues promptly, and provide you with a detailed response.