"This review is on behalf on my mother in law"

About: Queen's Medical Centre

Appalling treatment received by my mother in law who had secondary cancer, she was left without food or water for a considerable time, when she rang for help no one came and she noticed that was the case with other patients in distress no one went to their aid.

She pleaded with us not to go back into the QMC and was extremely distressed telling us she had not been treated well, she was a very bright lady and fully in control of her mind. We had asked for support as my husband is disabled we live in another county and I do not drive.

She w as sent home late at night with no support only to be found in a distressed state unable to get out of bed so in somewhat of a mess... she died days later in the QMC which was not unexpected because she was so very ill, but it was the care or lack of it that we found so lacking in compassion, she most certainly suffered. When we rang to ask about her there was confusion and little information, on one occasion no one knew if she was there or not. Some years earlier my own mother also had terrible treatment at the QMC and I complained I did receive a letter of apology but was told in no uncertain terms to be aware of what I was taking on if I decided to take the complaint further.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

I am extremely alarmed to read your account of both your and your late mother-in-law’s experience. I would like to speak to you personally to get the full details in order that we can investigate your concerns and provide you the explanation you and your family deserve. You can contact me directly, at your convenience on 0115 9691169 ext 56692.

- Stephanie Beasley-Thompson, Clinical Lead for Cancer & Associated Specialties

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

Apologies, I have just noticed an error in my direct number posted above. My direct number is 0115 9691169 ext 56694.

- Stephanie Beasley-Thompson, Clinical Lead for Cancer & Associated Specialties