"My whole experience was disgraceful."

About: Stoke Mandeville Hospital

My whole experience was disgraceful. I believe I survived in spite of, not because of Stoke Mandeville; from the triage procedure with a nurse chewing gum the whole way through, to an A & E doctor telling me I was having a panic attack and then discovering multiple pulmonary emboli. After 10 hours in the hospital, I was still suffering chest pain and shortness of breath. I was told by a seemingly very arrogant consultant, I was fit to go home. I said I still felt very ill. He told me I was being extremely selfish by blocking a bed for someone who was ill in A & E.

It was a nightmare. It was not helped by some of nurses (who did not seem to speak good English) happily telling my family on the phone I did not have a blood clot.

Response from Stoke Mandeville Hospital

I am really sorry to hear about your experience in our A&E department, I will make sure that this is passed back to the teams involved immediately. If you haven't done so already, please consider contacting our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). They will be able to look into this matter further and investigate if you would like. They are contactable on 01494 425882 or via email at PALS@buckshealthcare.nhs.uk. Thank you for taking the time to post these comments.