"Professional and caring treatment of my elderly..."

My 96 -yr old Father , a dementia sufferer,is making a very good recovery from pneumonia thanks to the care and sheer professionalism of staff in A and E ,Medical 9 and Surgical 2.

Despite staff and beds being under unusually severe pressure in A and E on Sunday evening Jan 27, he was xrayed and treated right away , remaining in A and E for far longer than staff chose (I will never forget the crumpled sadness on the Sister's face when she had to explain that there were 9 patients ahead of Dad in the queue for a bed in Medical .)

Yet, despite his dementia -driven aggression, staff in A and E, Medical 9 and Surgical 2 were always respectful and kind .From the cheery cleaners to the ward orderlies handing out tea,the nursing assistant patiently helping feed other dementia patients , the highly professional and caring nurses , the learning environment of being a University hospital , and the willingness of busy Consultants to take time to explain and share their knowledge with relatives were major contributory factors in my Father's recovery .

Yes staff were rushed off their feet at times , yes there were far more patients than seemed reasonable for A and E to have to cope with ,but I cannot speak too highly of the culture and care we experienced and I thank this hospital and its staff hugely. Long may it continue.

Response from Princess Royal University Hospital

Thank you for your comment. We are pleased that despite the difficult circumstances you felt satisfied with your father's treatment at the Trust. I have passed your comment to our managers on the site to ensure that this is circulated to our staff.