"Limited concerns for Patient Modesty or Dignity"

About: Royal Surrey County Hospital

Over all the medical treatment was very efficient and well organised. I was referred for Prostate Cancer treatment.

The treatment was fine however I found it impossible to discuss intimate sexual and personal subjects with the Clinical Nurse Specialists as they were all female. The NHS and the hospital does not consider Male patients should expect to be able to express a gender preference for intimate discussions. I was simply told the nurses were professional and I therefore I had no choice. In the end I decided to avoid some follow up discussions and seek alternative solutions.

Response from Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Glad to hear your medical treatment was of a good quality. We're sorry to hear that you felt you could not talk to our Clinical Nurse Specialists. It is true that the current team of Clinical Nurse Specialists with us at the moment are all female, but please be assured they are professionally trained and experienced and used to talking about sensitive issues with patients, both male and female.

It is very important to us that our patients get the care that they need, but also that they feel comfortable doing so. There is the option for a male patient to talk to a male consultant (Mr Nigam) should he indicate that he requires this for intimate discussions regarding prostate cancer. I would encourage you, DeVries, to contact your GP for a referral to the consultant or to contact the hospital directly (Mr Nigam's secretary can be telephoned on 01483 571122 ext 4570). However, please note that there may be a slightly longer waiting list by following this route.

In the main, male patients are happy to be seen by our Clinical Nurse Specialists, who are experienced and highly professional in discussing intimate sexual and personal subjects.

Response from Royal Surrey County Hospital