"Misdiagnosed with COPD"

About: West Suffolk Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was admitted to hospital with breathing problem. I had numerous tests done and nothing was found. Two doctors felt that I might have a clot on the lung and I needed to see a consultant for them to order a lung scan. I waiting for many hours to see a consultant. He arrived, asked me if I smoked and then diagnosed me with COPD, seemingly without doing any further tests.

I was quite upset and when I got home with all the drugs he had prescribed. I made an appointment to see my GP. He said that if a consultant had diagnosed, then that is what I have. I eventually decided to see a private lung consultant, who actually did tests and he was certain that I do not have COPD.

I am now on the NHS list of people with a smoking related disease, which I do not have. I had many weeks of worrying and stress.

Response from Linda Buckland, Assistant Communications Manager, West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for providing feedback on our service. We were very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. If you would like to progress your concerns further, please contact our Complaints department by emailing Complaints@wsh.nhs.uk