"emergency diabetes care"
About: Torbay Hospital Torbay Hospital Torquay TQ2 7AA
Posted by Anonymous
I was admitted to Torbay Hospital A and E in November with DKA and now as a late onset type 1 diabetic, have subsequently received much help and advice from the diabetic team. The care and treatment I have received has been extraordinary from the moment of my admission.
• I spent less than five minutes in the waiting room before the nurse, following up the fax from my GP, did my blood tests and led me through to the emergency room.
• From that first moment I seemed to be in the care of a large number of experts who treated me swiftly and calmly, constantly explaining to me what was happening. I hadn’t expected them to have time to be kind as well as proficient. At what was a very frightening time for me, I was grateful for all of this – and of course for their life saving treatment.
• I spent more twenty four hours in the A and E areas and was vastly impressed with everything, including the impressively swift and efficient cleaning of a bed bay after another patient had been ill.
• The staff in Simpson ward looked after me as well as they could (although clearly working under a different type of regime) and I was able to see the specialist consultant, nurse and dietician before I was discharged
• The diabetic nurses have been available since my discharge for consultation and reassurance in a way which has been well above any expectations I might have had
• Within two months of admission, I have seen the consultant for a follow up appointment, and am due to have the retinal screening next week. I have now been allocated places on two courses, both of which will enable me to manage my diabetes more effectively. This has been very prompt treatment indeed.
• I have had two long appointments, one with ‘my’ nurse and dietician, and one with the consultant, and was so pleased that I was able to take time, asking questions and learning about my new condition without feeling at all rushed or pressured for time
I am sure that you receive many complaints about hospital care and the media is rarely sympathetic to the NHS. My recent experience has been marvellous and, as well as telling all my friends, I thought you might like to know about it.