"first time parents experience"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

My son and his partner recently had their child at the maternity dept, and I can only describe this as an off putting experience for a young couple. Firstly arriving at about 4.30pm and only receiving first proper checks at around 10pm being told should go home until contractions stronger, usually not a problem but being as it had been snowing all day and roads were dangerous also living approx 20 miles from the hospital. So was moved onto labour suite. Labour continued all night and into morning, continuing through no-one seeming to make any decision on into lunch time, poor girl being told wont be long ect, finally deciding baby's not coming and an emergency forceps delivery. A very scary time for all and thank god both mum and baby safe and well, they were able to go home the following day at 4pm, 40hrs after they entered the hospital, and in all this time my son was not offered even a glass of water, let alone a cup of tea and sandwich, good job I'd made sure he had money with him.

Response from Julie Pearce, Chief Nurse + Director of Quality + Operations, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about our maternity services.

I apologise that your experience was not positive. Please do encourage your son and his partner to get in touch and we can ensure that they have an opportunity to talk through their experience with staff. I can be contacted through Julie.pearce1@nhs.net.

I do hope your grandchild is thriving and is bringing great joy to you all

Response from Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear of the problems experienced by your daughter in law and son with the birth of their first child, and your grandchild. If you would like to discuss the issues further please contact the Patient Experience Team via their email ekh-tr.patientexperienceteam@nhs.net and they will advise you with regard to our policy for raising concerns and complaints. In the meantime your comments have been noted onto our database as an anonymous concern and will be reported back to the area invovled in your feedback to review. We hope that your mother and baby are doing well.