"Top marks for the breast unit"

About: Peterborough City Hospital

I had to attend the breast unit after I discovered a lump. After being referred by my GP I received a phone call from the unit within 24 hours which was followed by a letter 24 hours later confirming my appointment. This was very reassuring as I was obviously in a distressed state and wishing to proceed with investigations as soon as possible. On arrival at the breast unit I was seen by the consultant, had a mammogram and ultrasound, then reviewed with the results by the consultant, all within 3 hours!! Amazing! I was treated with courtesy, dignity and respect and kept informed at all times. At one point the ultrasonographer recognised how worried I was and both he and the radiologist went out of their way to show me the scans and explain that there was nothing to worry about after all. They talked to me about how they reached their conclusions and what would probably happen next so that I did not have to wait and worry for another half hour whilst waiting for the official version from the consultant. I am a nurse who has worked in the NHS for 25 years and recognise the challenges facing staff every day. I have read the previous reviews and feel saddened for both the patients who have experienced poor quality care but also for the staff who are sometimes working in impossible conditions. In my case I have nothing but praise for a unit where the staff went the extra mile for me. Many thanks to you all.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us on your experience in the Breast Unit. I am so plesaed to hear that you received such good care at what I fully appreciate is a very anxious time. Once again thank you for taking the time to feedback to us and I wish you well in the future.

Response from Peterborough City Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to make these positive comments about your experience of the Breast Unit at Peterborough City Hospital, we will ensure they are passed on to the relevant staff and department.

We take all comments from patients and visitors seriously and strive to ensure that we use them to continuously improve patient experiences.