"Clinical Decision Unit"
About: Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Birmingham) Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Birmingham) Birmingham B15 2TH
Posted by WifeofDementia
My husband has dementia - a urine infection exacerbated this & weakend him so much I couldn't lift him at home so called GP
1. Kept waiting 2 hrs on ambulance trolley even though GP had prebooked bed.
2. No one spoke to us during that time
3. Sudden flurry around whiteboard - paramedics said targets
4. Nurses pressed 'release' button intimating paramedics had gone - they were still with my husband - paramedics said targets again apparently
5. Didn't believe/Ignored us that he couldn't stand stand and hung him out of bed to weigh him (physiotherapist was shocked next day when she heard)
6. Didn't believe/ignored he needed assistance to urinate - left botle on end of bed - wet himself
7. Dragged him back up the bed despite his lack of co-ordination & unable to assist
8. Several patients escaping off ward - no nurses as they were looking for lost patients
9. No-one to help feed him and he was dragging food off plate all down him
10. Missed diabetic drug at 18:00 - I reminded them
11. Too scared to leave him as no nurses believed me or were around to watch him & he twas trying to get out of bed - kind nurse assistant eventually found bed sides
12.. No consultant review - and told it could be any time between no (8pm & 3am!)
13. Informed us they would be unable to let me know if he was transferred out of the hospital overnight?
14. Laughed when he winced when they swabbed his nose - he had cancer removed some years ago and it still tender
15. No communication unless we asked