"Unsatisfactory appointment"

About: Cumberland Infirmary

My appointment was at 09.30 am and I had to wait for 2 hours, the first hour was waiting in the outpatients reception and the second hour was in a consulting room. The reasons given for the delay was insufficient consulting rooms for the clinics that were running. when I went into the consulting room I was told the delay was because of final year medical students accompanying the consultant.. no explanation was offered at any time, I had to be pro active and ask what the reasons were for the delay. When I met the consultant it was a different male consultant to the one I had seen on my previous visit in sept 2012. A lot of time was wasted going over old ground and different opinions were given-very confusing. My main concern is not with the medical staff but with the appointment system and administration. I should not have had to wait for such a long time. I would have preferred to have had my appointment cancelled rather than wait in such unsatisfactory circumstances.

Response from Cumberland Infirmary

Thank you for your feedback. The department is producing a new patient information leaflet so that patients are kept better informed about the clinics and any reasons for potential delay.