"Extensive operations are day surgery here- beware"

About: Pontefract General Infirmary

My after care following the removal of my gallbladder was appalling. It should never be day surgery. I reacted badly to the anaesthetic, yet they still tried to discharge me even though I was really unwell and while being sick into a bowl. I had had no pain relief for hours as the only option initially was oral (which I couldn't keep down). I felt very frightened and not at all reassured. I thought maybe the op had gone wrong. There was no doctor about. I was told one would see me but one never arrived. I insisted on staying and IV pain relief (I was in agony). Reluctantly I was found a bed for the night but just left all night with little care from nurses and I never did see a doctor.

In the morning having been awake all night with no reassurance from the night nursing staff and no doctor to reassure me I left with my husband. I would have been better off at home. There was no advantage to staying the night. The experience will be etched on my mind for a very long time and if it is in my power, I will not go for any more treatment at any hospital in the Mid Yorkshire Trust again.

I have found out a hysterectomy is day surgery here. I am appalled. There is no back up if things go wrong.

Response from Pontefract General Infirmary

We are concerned to note these comments and would be pleased to investigate formally if the patient would like to contact us directly. The email address is pals@midyorks.nhs.uk