"Ebbisham ward - dental extraction"

About: Epsom Hospital

My 5 year old son had to have 2 teeth removed under a general anaesthetic due to an abscess (from trauma to the tooth) I was pretty nervous about him undergoing an anaesthetic but the staff on Ebbisham ward were lovely. He had a nurse assigned to him who was really kind, attentive and made sure we were able to ask any questions. She was also with my son for the entire time except while he was actually having teh extraction done, but she waited with us (parents) in the waiting area. My son met his dentist and anaesthetist before the actual procedure which was great as when he then went to be 'put under' he already knew everyone in the room. Afterwards we were given privacy with our son when we wanted it but knew nursing staff were around if we needed them, and we were allowed to go home soon after the op which was great, no waiting around. Overall, my son thoroughly enjoyed his day at the hospital and the staff were great at putting the parents at ease too. The whole experience was a million times better than I had anticipated, everyone was very kind, and my son is back at school 48 hours after his op, showing off his extracted teeth to his classmates!

The ward was very clean, there were lots of nice, new toys for the children to play with and the atmosphere was relaxed and homely. Overall a fantastic experience. Thank you Epsom hospital.

Response from Epsom Hospital

So sorry it took us so long to get back to you. We know it can be daunting having to bring a child in to hospital, especially when they need anaesthetic. Thank you for your response, we are pleased to hear our staff were so good at putting you and your young son at ease. It's also nice to hear you found our ward relaxed and homely. Dr Ruth Charlton Joint Medical Director