"Breast clinic, Worcester Royal Hospital"

About: Worcestershire Royal Hospital / Breast surgery

I was fast tracked by my GP as I was experiencing discomfort in my breast. The appointment at the clinic was well within the 2 week limit and I was seen by a hospital professional in the department. Fortunately the mammogram and ultra sound results showed nothing sinister and I received "all clear" diagnosis.

However, while there, I felt I was spoken to in a rather patronising way and on initial examination, I was told by the examiner nothing could be felt in my breast. I explained that both myself and GP had indeed been aware of something and thats why I had been sent for an appointment.

I was sent for a mammogram and ultrasound and both depts were lovely, treating me with dignity and respect. Both able to locate the area of concern. When I queried with the initial examiner later why I had been told that nothing could be felt, the reply was that I must have misinterpreted what had been said to me, they meant, quote "nothing could be felt to worry about". I explained, I felt, that was not what had been said and I certainly had not mis interpreted the initial statement. I was then told I seemed anxious (any wonder? ) and was there anything else worrying me.

Well, yes, when I got back home, I felt as though I'd wasted NHS time.

Response from Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust

The breast care team see between 65 to 70 new patients in the breast clinic per week and aim to provide the very best individualised care for every patient.

I am very sorry if this did not appear to be our approach on this occasion. The explanation that “nothing could be felt” was intended to be reassuring but I can understand that this was unclear communication and I am sorry that you felt you were patronised by staff.

Thank you for your kind words about the staff in the Radiology department and I am glad to hear of your ‘all clear’ diagnosis.

If you have any further concerns please don’t hesitate to contact the breast care team on 01905 760261.