"Maternity Ward"

About: Hillingdon Hospital

My partner and I were happy with the general check-ups Hillingdon were providing throughout. Unfortunately, we sadly had to make the decision to end the pregnancy at 20 weeks due to heart defects that were picked up by the ultrasound. As soon as the condition was discovered, the midwife specialists arranged an appointment with a consultant in Central London for the following day and we were able to discuss our options with one of the best consultants in the country.

Once we had made our final decision, the midwives were quick to respond to our needs. I was in hospital for 2 days and all staff was attentive and extremely sympathetic to the situation. They were exceptional and helped us both get through the worst parts.

I cannot thank the staff enough for the support they provided through such a traumatic time. It was my first pregnancy therefore I had a particularly difficult time coming to terms with what happened. Fortunately, physically I have recovered quickly and I believe this is mainly down to the midwives at the hospital.

We will be returning to Hillingdon in future. We have already been reassured that we will be referred to heart specialists for our next pregnancy at the earliest possible stage.

My partner and I have always been a bit sceptical of the NHS, however this experience has proved us completely wrong!

Response from Hillingdon Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to write about the care you received from our maternity stafff during a very painful and emotional experience for both you and your partner. Your comments will be given to staff to read and share, and they will be pleased to know that the care and support given by them was valued. We know that loss in any circumstance is a very traumatic experience, and our staff endeavour to always provide the best possible care and support they can in what is a very personal and difficult time.

If you feel that there is anything further we can do to support you please do contact us and let us know.