"efficient and caring, albeit very busy."

About: William Harvey Hospital

My husband was admitted to one of the surgical wards via A&E and spent around 10 days on the ward having investigations unitl being transferred for specialist treatment. The ward staff were very busy but good humoured, kind and efficient. The surgeons kept us informed and involved. The environment was a bit cluttered but clean. Overall we got brilliant treatment and care. My only gripe was the attitide of one of the reception staff in A&E, who was very unhelpful. Clearly patients and relatives using the A&E are often worried and distressed. Reception staff should understand this only to well, so it was disappointing to experience a person who was unhelpful and gave me the wrong information about where my husband was. My rating regarding dignity and respect refers to the A&E reception and not to any other staff.

Response from Julie Pearce, Chief Nurse + Director of Quality + Operations, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am glad that on the whole your experience was positive.

I note your concerns regarding the attitude of a member if the reception staff in A&E and I will ensure that supportive feedback to staff is given to ensure that they are aware of the impact that the way we communicate can have on patients and their relatives. We rely on feedback to help us to improve.

I am glad that your experience within the surgical ward was positive. I note your observations about the ward appearing cluttered, we are aware of the difficulties that lack of storage facilities has and are currently working on ways to establish a central equipment library on each hospital site to provide extra storage and to support decontamination and maintenance of equipment away from the ward areas.

I do hope that your husband is making a full recovery.

Response from William Harvey Hospital

Thank you for your kind words regarding the care that your husband received whilst a patient at William Harvey Hospital. I am sorry to hear that the attitude of 1 member of staff let you down. I can confirm that all feedback is sent to the areas involved to learn from, and can assure you that your positive comments are equally a powerful learning tool. Your comments will also be recorded onto the Trust database to monitor feedback and any themes and trends. I hope that your husband is recovering well.