"Prostate issues and star quality Urology Dept."

About: Cheltenham General Hospital

I made my first visit to Prestbury Clinic nearly five years ago with what was quickly confirmed as early stage prostate cancer ( I usually try to avoid using the C word as it can give rise to unnecessary alarm.)

After thorough explanations I chose the "watch and wait " route and was carefully monitored throught the next few years by my consultant with any necessary support always at hand from the specialist nurse.

A year or so ago it was time to take action and I decided on a Radical Prostatectomy.

This was my first surgery or stay in hospital and from the time I walked through the doors I was treated wonderfully well and put at ease by compassionate and knowledgeable staff.

From the reception staff on through to the cheery anaethetists and then to Bibury Ward to be looked after by the brilliant ward staff (even the younger nurses surprised me with their knowledge) it was a positive experience.

I mustn't forget to give the refreshment personnel and the WRVS a thank you also.

So if you think you might have a prostate problem , don't worry unnecessarily, just see your GP for a simple blood test which will probably allay your concerns anyway.

Response from Cheltenham General Hospital

Many thanks for your comments about our staff and your treatment at Cheltenham General. It's always nice to hear from a happy customer! Your feedback is really important to us and we have passed this onto the teams involved.