"waiting times outpatients"

About: Gravesham Community Hospital

Its a lovely hospital and the cleanliness second to none, staff are extremely helpful but waiting times, although often can't be avoided need to be accurately displayed. People, often unwell have a choice whether to accept a waiting time appointment but it needs to displayed correctly, I was there with a 2.30 waiting time which turned out tobe over 4 hours and that is when people get agitated. On the whole the hospital is very good.

Response from Head of Patient Experience and Public Engagement, Engagement Team, Kent Community Health NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Hello Margaret, I'm sorry you had such a poor experience and that you were not told how long you had to wait.

It would be helpful to know if this was at the Minor Injuries Unit at Gravesham, or an Out-patient appointment, as your posting says 'out-patients'. Kent Community Health NHS Trust doesn't run all of the out-patient clinics at Gravesham, so to make sure this doesn't happen again we would like some more details, so we can forward your concerns to the right department.

You can contact me via our Customer Care Team email kcht.cct.nhs.net or ring me direct on 01233 667816.

Best wishes

Karen

Karen Edmunds

Response from Karen Edmunds, Head of Patient Experience and Public Engagement, Engagement Team, Kent Community Health NHS Trust We have made a change

Hello Margaret,

We have looked into your comments and the staff at the Minor Injury Unit have been reminided to make sure that the waiting times board is updated on a regular basis. I'm sorry that when you visited it was not updated. Your feedback has been used to highlight to the staff the affect this has on our patients, and the importance of keeping the board updated.

Best wishes

Karen

Response from Gravesham Community Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you waited much longer than you expected to. Minor Injury Unit (MIU) staff keep the waiting times updated on the board behind MIU reception. They try to make sure these are accurate, but at very busy times people may have to wait two to three hours, or in your case longer. When patients are registered they are assessed by their injury and treated accordingly. Therefore they may be seen more quickly than the time shown, or it can take longer if patients seen before you take longer to be treated. I'm glad that on the whole you feel this is a good hospital. If you have any other comments please contact our Customer Care Team Email kcht.cct@nhs.net Tel: 0300 123 1807.

Karen Edmunds