"Visit to Dad"

About: South Tyneside District Hospital

On my visit I found the staff to be uncommunicative and unfriendly. My father has very little speech following a stroke but the staff seemed to act as though he can't hear or understand too. When I was waiting in x-ray for him the porters came to take away someone else and never spoke to her. They also got 2 patients mixed up because they didn't ask for their names or even speak to them. I felt that the treatment only got better for him when they realised that he has a large vociferous family.

Response from South Tyneside District Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience of our services on the NHS Choices website. I am sorry you observed some communication issues between staff and patients whilst your father was an in-patient at South Tyneside District Hospital and am grateful for bringing it to my attention. I meet with senior staff from across the Trust on a regular basis and I will remind them of the importance of effective communications with patients and relatives. I do hope your father makes a speedy recovery.

Lorraine B Lambert