"Disappointed with cleanliness in clinical decisions unit"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital / General medicine

Having returned home after visiting a relative in the clinical decision unit at QEQM Margate. I must say how concerned I am about the cleanliness of the ward.

I saw rubbish including soiled cotton wool on the floor. Looking around I was further shocked to see that almost all of the beds had some form of rubbish underneath. The floor looked dirty and stained even to the naked eye and the whole ward smelt strongly of human urine.

Given the climate we live in with such things as MRSA I'm disappointed to say the very least.

I did not see any member of staff attempted to clean up whilst I was there, and there were many of them there of all grades.

This is not a hospital I would ever like to be admitted in to.

Response from Julie Pearce, Chief Nurse + Director of Quality + Operations, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, and I am sorry that you found the clinical decision unit untidy and unclean. I will ensure that the feedback is brought to the attention of staff.

I have asked for additional cleaning sessions in A&E and the Assessment Units including CDU during a particularly busy time for our hospitals.

Please accept my apology and I hope your relative is making a good recovery.