"Visiting hours!"

About: Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General / General Surgery

I came onto the Internet as a family member who travelled from Canada to be with her adult daughter who was scheduled for surgery. I was hoping to find direct access to someone who can make a difference within the hospital system, known as the NHS.

We have a similar system in Canada and I work in the health care system. I have extensive first hand experience in patient centered care, both as an administrator and as a family member.

The first thing I noted was a "visiting hours" sign. We abolished visiting hours a few years ago and it has made a tremendous positive difference in the patient and family experience. Our daughter is scheduled for surgery tomorrow, I will be writing more about the experience as the week progresses.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide your very kind feedback.

I will ensure that this is passed on to those involved and I am sure that they will be very pleased to read your comments.

I am sorry that this posting was not acknowledged at the time, we had a break in our use of Patient Opinion, but we have now resumed doing so, and I thought it was still important to acknowledge your posting and where appropriate to pass comments on.

Once again, thank you for using the Patient Opinion feedback system, it is greatly appreciated.

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS We have made a change

Further to my acknowledgement above I thought it might be helpful to let you know that the Acute Services Division is introducing a system of flexible visiting and I hope that this will improve patient and carer experience in this very important area.