"Going to hospital for tests on my bowel"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General surgery

I was asked by my doctor to attend East Surrey hospital for tests to determine the cause of bowel problems I was experiencing. My appointment came through within 3-4 days and the appointment was only 8 days later.

The consultant advised sigmoidoscopy initially and suggested that if I went to the endoscopy unit it might be possible to get added to his list for the following Thursday in 2 days time - to in his words 'get reassured before Christmas'.

This I did and whist turning up for an appointment was considered slightly unorthodox by staff on the unit, they dealt with it expeditiously and I was indeed seen the following Thursday.

The care and professionalism shown by staff and the consultant on the unit was excellent throughout. The procedure showed nothing, but I was advised by the consultant to have a colonoscopy to rule out anything else in the colon. This was undertaken 14 days later after Christmas and the care again was excellent.

So much is said about the NHS, but in the few times I have experienced it the care and service has been excellent and I praise the staff, nurses and doctors who work for the NHS.

Response from Eloise Clarke, Communications Manager, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear 'PG of Caterham'

Thanks for posting a comment about your experience of care and treatment. I am always pleased when I hear from patients such as yourself - where the system has worked as it should and we have exceeded your expectations. I hope you are feeling better now.

Eloise Clarke