"There's always one that spoils it for the rest...."

About: Leicester General Hospital

Had my baby here in early December. My partner had rang the delivery suite earlier when my contractions were 5 minutes apart and we were told to go in to the hospital when my contractions were 3 minutes apart, but on arrival a very rude woman in maternity told me I should have called back and they might send me home as it probably be hours before my baby was born, and sent me to sit in the waiting room. 15 minutes later as I was getting the urge to push the same woman decided to examine me after both myself and my partner begged her to. My waters broke 15 minutes later and I gave birth 28 minutes later so you can imagine the state I was in and this woman's behaviour didn't help!!

With the exception of this one woman, the care I received was good, particularly as my baby's heart was slowing in labour, and everyone in the room was caring and a great help. It is just a shame that the first woman we saw was so rude and made me feel uncomfortable when I was already panicking about labour (no pain relief!!) She could also be heard on the phone complaining about being too busy and about having too many people to see and how annoying it was.

Best part for me however was getting a private room on the ward when I was transferred which was very clean and comfortable. Did take a long time to discharge me in the end but my care on the ward was generally really good!

Response from Tiffany Jones, Head of Communications & Engagement, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback about your experience.

We're really sorry that a member of our staff was not displaying the type of care and behaviour we expect. We'd really like to address this if you would like to contact us. Please raise your concerns with our PILS service free on 08081 788 337 or via pils.complaints.compliments@uhl-tr.nhs.uk

On another note, we're glad to hear that you were happy with the rest of your experience and hope that you and your baby are doing well.

Response from Leicester General Hospital

We're sorry to hear that your birth experience at the General wasn't as good as it could have been. Your comments have been passed on to the maternity team so that they can be reminded of how they can impact, positively or negatively, on the experience of their patients.

We hope that you and your baby are doing well