"Concerned about care on Heronsgate ward"

About: Watford General Hospital / General medicine

My grandmother was admitted to Watford general hospital and has been in the Heronsgate ward for over a week.

The other night I left the hospital in tears after seeing how some of the patients were treated. My grandmothers exact words were " I would never had believed it until I saw it." That particular day she had undergone an operation and had to use the bed pan- she was left 45 minutes lying on top of the bed pan calling for the nurse to help remove the pan.

Another incident occurred last night when she had difficulties breathing and she had been calling the nurse from 12am till 3:00am for assistance. She was not provided with a buzzer either - eventually after 3 hours the nurse came to her where the doctor was called and an X-ray showed she had fluid on the lungs.

I believe the lack of care is due to the ward being understaffed with at times 2 nurses looking after 18 patients.

Response from Mark Jarvis, Associate Director, Patient Experience and Feedback, West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust

I am very sorry to read your comments about the care provided to your grandmother whilst a patient on Heronsgate ward. I would very much like the opportunity to inversigate this fully and to provide you with answers to the concerns you have raised. In order for me to do that I would be grateful if you could contact the complaints department on the following number 01923 4367866 or alernatively please email the compaints team at wherts-tr.complaintsteam@nhs.net