"MRSA: concerns about cleanliness"

About: Macclesfield District General Hospital / Older people's healthcare

My nana is on the stroke unit at Macclesfield General. During her time there, the lady next to her had contracted MRSA, the staff nurse was informative and helpful as all the staff taking care of my nana are.

We were told there would be a "deep clean". Only thing is myself and other family members were there, and witnessed a cleaner wipe around everybody's bed fittings and lights with the same cloth and a duster mop.

I myself picked up a large amount of dust and dirt from beside my nana's bed before this incident occured, three hours later - no sign of a "deep clean".

My nana is still there as are the other ladies that up to this point have not contracted mrsa, as by now they should have been swabbed as staff nurse suggested.

A very concerned tax payer and relative!

Response from Macclesfield District General Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on the NHS Choices website and apologies for the delay in replying to you. I was disappointed to read your comments and your observations about the cleaning of the ward areas. Domestic staff do have cleaning regimes and schedules to follow and the ward managers do monitor this. If you would like to discuss this further please contact the Customer Care Department on 01625 661449 or e-mail at ecn-tr.CustomerCareService@nhs.net.