"Poor treatment of elderly and disabled patients"
About: Glenfield Hospital / Older people's healthcare Glenfield Hospital Older people's healthcare LE3 9QP
Posted by an observer (as ),
My mum is currently in the Glenfield hospital, Leicester. She is too scared to comment about the care that herself and others on her ward are receiving, which she feels is disgraceful.
I have witnessed some of the attitudes of some of the nurses who I feel sadly bring down the name of nurses who do care. I have been consoling my mum for the past three days and have well and truly had enough but cannot do anything as I fear she will be treated even worse. Things like:
- her cannula popping out of her arm and being left for four hours, as the nurse reported being too busy
- painkillers prescribed first thing in the morning by the Dr, yet waiting ten hours because again they are too busy
- being given insulin when she is not supposed to have it
- not getting her diabetes injection all day as there simply isn't time, then getting told she can't leave because sugars and blood is unable to stabilise
- being told off as mum asked for breathing apparatus, then it being plugging in high above her - forcing mum to ask for assistance. At this point the nurse stretched the wire whilst mum had to manoeuvre herself in a contorted manner, then the whole thing blew up in her face. The nurse laughed and walked off.
Disabled and elderly with compounding health concerns - no wonder she cries on the phone to me at night. I have witnessed this treatment with others on the ward also - help these poor OAP's to have dignity, to be listened to.