"A lack of co-ordinated and common sense care."

About: Lincoln County Hospital

It doesn't matter how good and thorough the doctors and consultants are if the back up staff cannot perform basic tasks properly. A 24 hr urine collection is a simple thing but in my husbands case this has a problem of stupid proportions. Firstly a receptical for said collection could not be found so instead of starting first thing in the morning it couldnt begin untill late afternoon. His discharge was delayed by a day because of this. The next morning he was phoned at home to say that the wrong recepticle was used and he would have to return for another collection. He has had a minor stroke and had an exceedingly high blood pressure reading which has now been controlled by drugs. Put this complete ineptitude together with being woken during the night for BP readings, noisy nurses with clattering heels and loud voices, late BP readings, lack of information, no nursing staff on the ward at one point and it is incredible that his BP has not gone through the roof.

Response from Lincoln County Hospital

I am so sorry that your husband has had such a difficult time and I can understand your frustration and worry. As you correctly say not having the right collection bottle does seem ludicrous but it may happen from time and time and I am extremely sorry for this. Without knowing which particular area I am unable to determine whether this was a ward based stock issue or something else but having shared your story I have asked staff to raise awareness - and certainly we should not be delaying discharge and can only offer my apologies. I was particularly interested in your comments about noise at night as we are about to undertake an audit across each of our 3 main hospital sites as other patients have told us through surveys that their sleep is disturbed. From this audit (which will include talking to patients) we can focus on the noise making 'culprits' and from my previous experience it is as you have said staff talking and clonky shoes. I am again really sorry for your poor experience; but please be assured that we have heard and listened and value your feedback.