"Good nurses but bland food"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Gynaecology

I have recently stayed in Brockham ward for a few days. I was looked after very well.

The nurses were very kind and attentive, and my only gripe would be about the food.

There was a reasonable choice and what came up would have been ok if it had been seasoned. Come on chef at least some salt and pepper or herbs to stop the blandness!

Dear Arol,

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay on Brockham Ward but I'm sorry that you thought our food was bland. I share your dislike of bland food but as a hospital we are committed to following national guidelines around salt intake when preparing our meals and do not routinely add it to recipes. However we do add pepper and herbs when the recipe includes it, but conservatively to suit the tastes of all 650 of our patients.

When the meal is served we offer sachets of salt and pepper so that you can season your meal to your personal taste; I'm sorry if you weren't offered the salt and pepper sachets and will speak to the Housekeeper on Brockham Ward to check if there was any reason why these were not offered to you.

If you would like to discuss your comments I would be be very happy to talk to you and you can contact me by calling 01737 231988 or e-mailing ian.mackenzie@sash.nhs.uk

Dear Arol

I met with all our housekeepers earlier this week and we talked about a range of things including ensuring that seasoning is offered where appropriate. I'm sorry that this didn't happen for you but we will focus on this in the future so that others don;t also go without.

Regards