"I can't thank Southend Hospital enough"

About: Southend Hospital / Accident and emergency

I attended A&E at Southend Hospital in October with what I believed was a reaction to antibiotics. My throat was tightening and I was finding it increasingly difficult to talk.

I was seen almost immediately and admitted. I was informed that I would need to be intubated due to my breathing, I was struggling at this point. I awoke 2 weeks later and was informed I had been diagnosed with Ludwig's Angina. I have some vague memories of the time I was sedated. I mostly remember vivid and frightening images of events that did not occur. I was delusional and experiencing hallucinations, auditory and visually.

I can't thank the medical and nursing staff enough for the skill and commitment they demonstrated throughout my time at the unit.

I was later admitted to Ellenor Hobbs ward (Acute Medical Unit). Again the care given to me and other patients was faultless. I feel very humbled by the whole experience.

There are some extraordinary people working at this hospital. I can't really put into words how I feel and there is much left unsaid about my experience.

Response from Southend Hospital

many thanks for your feedback. it is always good to learn what we are doing well. I will make sure that your experiences are fedback to the teams involved.