"Good service yet prescription restrictions are too severe"

About: Adult community services / Nutrition and dietetics

I think the service provided by the department of Nutrition and Dietetics is just as good as when my local GPs did the service.

The only thing I would say is cutting down on the amounts allowed is too severe, if people who made the cuts (financial?) did as the general public are having to do and shopped around. I did a small survey on the internet/phone and called at the ASDA doing a price check and was amazed at the difference in the cost for the same products.

I phoned Juvela foods direct so I know these prices are correct, the internet is available for anyone to check same as the ASDA supermarket.

I know your department cannot do anything about the costs in the NHS, but the people making all the cuts should see what could be saved on just 4 items I have listed below.

1kg Flour - Juvela+delivery = £13. 86, Internet + delivery = £8. 85, ASDA = £1. 87

pizza 2 rack- Juvela " = £8. 20, Internet " = £9. 65, ASDA = £3. 60

Sliced white loaf- Juvela =£3. 48, Internet = £4. 39, ASDA = £2. 38

Spaghetti 500g- Juvela = £6. 60, Internet = £4. 65, ASDA= £1. 30

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Doggy467, thank you for your posting on the Patient Opinion website. We appreciate patient feedback and are pleased to learn that the service provided is just as good as that provided by the GP.

The amounts allowed to patients are calculated on the nutritional content and the budget we have to spend has to be fair and equitable for all patients. Supermarket brands of gluten free products are often cheaper and patients have the option of using these products to supplement their prescription amounts.

Thank you for your research, we have been gathering information over the last year and have found out the charges we have incurred for deliveries to pharmacies and we are now actioning this - thank you for your information.

With best wishes,