"Private hospital not so good, NHS one better"

About: Pinderfields General Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I was admitted as an urgent case for spinal surgery. I have on going spinal stenosis since 1990.

Having been in NHS hospitals before and treated very well I was disappointed with the care I got this time. I was sent to a private hospital as this helps reduce waiting time. The sister at my pre op assessment assured me when I asked would I be treated any differently from private patients and was assured no.

I was taken in on a Saturday expecting to be home Sunday but due to complications and a longer operation, loss of blood and spinal fluid, I was put in HDU for about 12 hours and was looked after very well as far as I remember. Come late Monday I noticed that I was being ignored left in a small room with door shut, by Tuesday the same.

I also noticed the lack of cleanliness. My room was filthy, no cleaners and I complained my bed was wet with sweat and some blood from sores. This was not changed for 8 hours. I could have got infection.

Wednesday was left in room again. I also said I had not been to toilet only passed wind and was told not to worry and was discharged. By Thursday evening I got home.

My thanks to Neurosurgeon and nurse in HDU, but the way I was treated after was very bad and two days home I was admitted to Pinderfields with severe pain in bowels and was there till Monday and treated very well in a nice clean room with friendly staff.

Response from Pinderfields General Hospital

We would be pleased to arrange for this episode to be reviewed if the patient would like to contact usectly with the details. The email address is pals@midyorks.nhs.uk