"problems organising transport to hospital"

About: Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary / Audiology Scottish Ambulance Service

I am 80 years of age, partially sighted and disabled. I have an appointment booked at the Audiology department at Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary. I am unable to get to my appointment independently because of my age, disability and the hospital being 20 miles away and so I have to arrange transport to take me to my appointments.

After trying to book my transport today I was asked if "I could not catch the bus? " and the young lady I spoke to was very unhelpful and when I have asked to speak to her supervisor she said that they would ring me back. that was 3 hours ago.

This change in the system has left me feeling confused and worried as to whether I can still get transport to my appointments because its the only way I can get there.

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Rushed418

I'm sorry your call to us has made you confused and worried. I've passed your feedback on to a colleague who looks after the Patient Transport service, in the hope they can identify your call from the description you've given above and get back to you today.

If you haven't heard from anyone today, can you ring 0131 314 0000 in the morning to let us know, so we can follow up for you.

Dear Rushed418

I believe you now have patient transport arranged for your appointment at Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary. We do ask a range of questions to patients who would like to use the service, which may have been confusing and worrying. We do this because the medical and mobility needs of patients, including regular service users, can change, and we want to get it right for our patients every time. In this instance, we had also been asked by the Audiology Department at DGRI to ask additional questions for people attending the Audiology Clinic.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Your feedback has been very useful. We will pass it on to the team who has been working on improvements to PTS, to see if there are any further improvements we can make when we are discussing needs with patients, when they call us.

I hope everything goes well at your appointment.