"Rude welcome at Derriford Hospital Emergency Department"

About: Derriford Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was shocked at the outright hostility I encountered from a member of staff on the Emergency Department reception at Derriford Hospital.

It did not seem that they were busy (and later could be heard chatting and laughing to a colleague). There was no greeting, no smile, no warmth and questions were just barked at me: "Name? " "Address", "Take this and go and sit over there. " This really isn't good enough and improving this welcome would cost little and greatly enhance the service.

I think that you would be shown greater courtesy if you were a known felon being booked into the custody suite at your local police station.

Response from Mary Anderson, Senior Quality Facilitator, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for your posting to Patient Opinion.

I am disappointed that you had such a negative experience on your recent visit to the Emergency Department for which we sincerely apologise. This is not what we would want for any of our patients. Your comments have been shared with the team and on behalf of the Trust, I would like thank you for bringing your experience to our attention.

Mary