"Left feeling completely exasperated and frustrated..."

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I was referred to Vascular surgery by my GP after an ultra sound scan they sent me for came back saying I had a hernia. I was made to feel like I had walked in off the street claiming to have a hernia. The consultant then examined me and said they didn't think I had and sent me for a C.T scan to be sure. I had that done and weeks and weeks later I received a letter with an appointment to go back in to see the consultant regarding the CT scan. It was an anxious wait as the letter was very brief. When I was called in I saw a completely different doctor who told me that I haven't got a hernia but it has discovered an ovarian cyst and that I would be referred to Gynecology department. I wanted to ask what was in the very first scan that said I did have a hernia and what if not a hernia could that be? What was causing this pain? But was not given the opportunity just a swift thank you and goodbye.

It has now been several weeks since that appointment and I have not heard a peep from Gynecology with an appointment. I called up and asked to be put through to Gynecology to ask when I would be seen as understandably I was worried and the receptionist said that they hadn't received a referral for me. I was told to call my consultants secretary. I have called her 4 times and so has my GP. All we get is their answer phone and we are just hitting a brick wall.

What a joke of a service! I am outraged by it. I will be making an official complaint and will be asking to be referred to Bassetlaw hospital. The incompetence is unbelievable.

Well, Everything could happened a lot quicker for a start. I could have been spoken to as if I had been referred by my GP not some hypocondrriact off the street, I could have been shown my scan results and things could have been explained properly and given some explanation as to what has been causing the pain and what was in that very first image that measured 1.2cm!

AND finally I should have been referred to gynecolgy for the pretty urgent matter of my ovarain cyst which I was also told was 'quite large'.

I am so sorry that you have had such a difficult experience, at a time when you needed support, information and responsiveness. I note you have said you are making a formal complaint; however please do not hesitate to get in contact with customer care directly by phone on (01522) 573969 if you have not yet resolved your appointment as I am concerned that you may still be waiting without an answer.

Please once again accept my apologies.

Response from Lincoln County Hospital

Please once again accept my apologies.