"Coeliac disease- cuts effect prescription allowances"

About: Adult community services / Nutrition and dietetics

- The telephone ordering system works well. However, some delays can occur to repeat prescription (possibly CPO delay not NHS)

- The idea of seeing an advisor for review at GP Surgery is an excellent idea, how many people are aware of this service. There are no parking problems and relieves RTH parking pressures.

- Dietary and Nutrition staged an open awareness day (coeliac) during the last 12 months, this proved very successful and was well organised and attended (repeat requested subject to funding)

- Due to cut backs in funding certain products are unavailable and points reduced. No written warning was given or explanation. I was just told when re-ordering.

- As suggested by (Coeliac UK) I wrote for explanation and received a polite explanation in reasonable time, however, a comment made by an advisor at the front of the advisory team advising cuts, said that certain Coeliac products were only pennies more expensive than normal products. She could try coming and doing my shopping for me!

- I hope no further cut backs in the pipe line

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Nearby531, thank you for your posting on the Patient Opinion web site. We appreciate patient feedback and it is good to know that the ordering system works well. Also we do have clinics throughout Rotherham, so would be pleased for you to access the service at the most appropriate place for yourself.

The open day will be occurring again this year on the 1st November at the Carlton Park Hotel and you should have received information regarding this day by now.

With regard to the number of units provided, this is determined by the nutritional content, and we felt that discussing it with patients was a better option than written information.

The budget for these products is not infinite and as more people are diagnosed we may have to restrict further, however, all patients have the same access to the service. Other PCTs are restricting to bread only or not allowing any products at all. So at the moment we feel we are providing the best service we can with the budget available to us.

Also, the gluten free products developed by supermarkets own brands, as well as specialist companies, are varied and range in price, so alternatives are available for purchase to supplement the prescribed range.

I do hope this response provides clarification for you.

With best wishes,