"Cancelled spinal surgery"

About: Frenchay Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

After waiting 7 months for a spinal fusion, my operation was cancelled after waiting in an admissions ward for 8 hours gowned and starved!

The consultant overran in theatre and now I have to wait another 6 weeks. If Frenchay don't have the theatre capacity while Southmead is under construction, they should refer patients to other nearby hospitals.

Response from Steven Sykes, Advice & Complaints Team Manager, North Bristol NHS Trust We have made a change

Dear Sanjita - I am sorry that you have experienced a problem with the Spinal Surgery service. Unfortunately the service has been experiencing exceptional demand recently and has, regrettably, due to the large number of acute emergency cases found it necessary to sometimes postpone operations as a result. This is obviously not the service that we would wish for our patients, and work is under way to see what can be done to avoid the need for such cancellations, the appointments service has also been strengthened to address recent difficulties experienced by some patients.

If you would like us to specifically investigate the circumstances surrounding your care please contact the Advice and Complaints Team via the NBT website and we will be happy to do this for you.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to advise of your poor experience I hope that your procedure proceeds without a problem and that you make a quick and full recovery.

Kind regards -