"Endometrial biopsy at Ninewells"

About: Ninewells Hospital / General Surgery

I had an Endometrial Biopsy at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee. I was extremely nervous about having this done as I had read a lot of horror stories on the internet. However, on the day I found that the nurse who did the test was an absolute angel and I can not thank her enough. I told her right at the start how nervous I was and she talked it all through with me and said "we will just take it a step at a time" which is what we did. She went out of her way to make me as comfortable as possible. While I would agree that the test is quite uncomfortable, never at any time did I feel I would need to ask her to stop. In actual fact if you disregard the undressing etc, the test itself probably lasted about 30 seconds or so.

Afterwards, she spent a considerable amount of time with me discussing my menopausal symptoms etc. I am so grateful to her. As it turns out I did have some pre-cancerous cells and have now had a hysterectomy so I am so glad that I had this procedure done and I did not ignore the symptoms.

Response from Tracey Passway, Clinical Governance and Risk Team Leader, Clinical Governance and Risk, NHS Tayside

NHS Tayside welcomes your feedback. Your comments will now be shared with the relevant department. Thank you.