"Horrible experience in orthopaedic clinic"

About: Borders General Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

At an orthopaedic out-patient appointment I was treated to a masterclass in how not to treat a patient.

Firstly, although the doctor introduced themselves, it was impossible to catch their name. They had a student with them, who was introduced but they did not ask me if it was alright if the student stayed.

I found the doctor very intimidating (I am quite short), very brusque and rough when examining me. They also took a telephone call during my appointment which took up at least 5 minutes of the time.

They fired questions at me, didn't give me time to think, and were clearly impatient and dismissive. Because they were so rough with me when physically examining me I was in more pain than usual for nearly a week.

I found it a truly horrible experience and I am in two minds as to whether to attend my next appointment in case I see the same doctor again.

My only hope is that the student who witnessed this realises how appalling it was and never, ever treats a patient in a similar way.

Response from Stephen Bermingham, NHS Borders

We are very sorry and concerned to hear about your experience of accessing NHS Borders services. We would appreciate it if you could call Susan Cowe (Complaints Officer) on 01896 826714, this will give us the opportunity to discuss your concerns and to make things better in the future.