"First Visit to James Cook Hospital"

About: The James Cook University Hospital

My son was admitted to Ward 22 via A& E. We arrived at A& E expecting a long wait, my son was seen by the triage nurse, the on call oral surgeon, the x ray department and onto Ward 22 all within an hour.

The ward was very clean, all staff from the nursing staff to the consultant were very pleasant and professional, explaining all tests and procedures to myself and my son (hes 11). The tea lady was very chatty and helped cheer my son up. There were things to keep him occupied, various board games, a playstation and an x box.. If I went with him he was allowed to leave the ward.

Children should be put in a bay with children of a smililar age. My son was in a bay with a 2 year old, whose parents had no control of them, running round and bouncing on empty beds 24 hours a day, while the parents and family sat and watched and laughed. Luckily my son was only in for 1 day or I would have asked for him to be moved.

Was surprised at the car park prices. After a 50 mile round trip I was expecting the car park to cost 'an arm and a leg'. Surprisingly, although not cheap, it was half the price of our local hospital, which is under a different health authority.

Response from The James Cook University Hospital

Thank you for your kind words, regarding your son's stay at The James Cook University Hospital, which has been forwarded to the Children's Services for their attention.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk

If you wish to discuss your feedback regarding improvements, please contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854807.

Best wishes.