About: Northern General Hospital Northern General Hospital Sheffield S5 7AU
Posted by MaxwellH
What I liked
I was a day case patient on the Bev Stokes Day Case Unit. This is a small, dedicated unit, and, as Theatre Matron myself in another large University Trust, it is always interesting to see how other units run.
One of the staff nurses, was extremely accommodating and attentive. They made me feel very welcome and followed through my visit with a follow-up call the day after.
The anaesthetic practitioners were excellent - one was particularly excellent - they had a superb manner with me when I was in the anaesthetic room - just the right tone.
As always the team are second to none - clearly their registrar was very professional and thorough.
* The unit was very accommodating to relatives which I think is so important for patients - they even offered my husband a cup of tea.
* Anaesthetist profesional and answered all questions as I needed.
It's good these days to see doctors working with patients as partners in care.
What could be improved
Perhaps my only comments would be as follows:
* would it be better to have the patient sat in a room and the doctors move to the patient rather than the patient bob up and down from room to room? Could the surgeon and anaesthetist see the patient together? Just a suggestion from a quality perspective for the patient.
* The wait area after being changed does not offer much privacy as you can be clearly seen by anyone else waiting in the main waiting area as you walk to and from this area. This could be improved simply by doors to block off this area as I am not sure it maintains sufficiently a patient's privacy and dignity when in a theatre gown.
* The unit could do with a bit of brightening up with a lick of paint to bring it into 2012.
Well done Northern General - you continue not to disappoint and a gold star to the team!